Who We Are
41 Canadian Brigade Group is an Army Reserve Formation of 3rd Canadian Division and is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta.
Most of the present day 41 CBG soldiers serve part-time, while maintaining full-time jobs, studies and families. They are also dedicated, professional soldiers who continue to proudly serve Canada when needed to augment the Regular Force on deployed missions internationally, in NATO and United Nations missions. As well, they serve local Canadian communities in domestic operations like the British Columbia forest fires.
Made up of nine units and a brigade headquarters, 41 CBG has about 1200 Reserve soldiers in Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer and Yellowknife, NWT. These units represent all the major roles and trades in the Canadian Army.
- Commander - Colonel John Conrad
- Sergeant Major - Chief Warrant Officer Emmett Kelly
As Canada expanded into the West, and with the establishment of its new provinces, the need for a military presence and a command structure became apparent. In 1905, Military District No.13 was established with its headquarters in Calgary. This system remained in place until 1947.
In December of 1941, because of Japan's entry into the Second World War, it was decided to organize a number of brigades for the defence of Canada. In February 1942, one brigade was organized for each of the eleven Military Districts. In Alberta, it was 41st (Reserve) Brigade Group in Calgary.
The wartime reserve brigades were allotted full-time commanders and their staff. Soldiers in these brigades were not eligible for service with the Active Force. This included persons between ages 17 and 19 and over age 35, those with a lower medical category and members of the Canadian Officers Training Corps until graduation. These brigades were stood down in 1945.
After the Second World War, the area command structure changed several times, while in Alberta the Militia was commanded from various militia district structures, until the Alberta Militia District was reformed into 41 Canadian Brigade Group on April 1, 1997. Its headquarters took over the Brigadier-General Stan Waters Building, formerly the 1 PPCLI headquarters building at CFB Calgary, after the departure of the Regular Forces to Edmonton.
The units of 41 CBG have proud and varied histories, with many soldiers serving with distinction in the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War. Notably, this includes more than six Victoria Crosses won by soldiers in the brigades' units. Our more recent international assignments and missions include Bosnia and Herzegovina, Afghanistan and Sierra Leone.