2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Unit Identification

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Badge

PPCLI Badge

The 2nd Battalion is based out of the Kapyong Barracks at CFB Shilo, Man. It is a mechanized infantry unit of the Regular Force and is one of the four manoeuvre elements assigned to 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group. The battalion is composed of three rifle companies (A, B and C), one combat support company, and one command and administration company.

The 2nd Battalion is well trained and equipped for operations defending Canadian interests abroad or at home. The unit has also been instrumental in assisting civil authorities during national disasters in Canada.

Related Links

Command Team

  • Commanding Officer - Lieutenant-Colonel W.K. Niven
  • Regimental Sergeant Major - Chief Warrant Officer J.M. Smith

Our History

PPCLI was founded for service in the First World War on August 10, 1914, and paraded for the first time at Lansdowne Park, Ottawa, Ontario, on August 23, 1914. Hamilton Gault, a prominent Montreal businessman, raised the regiment out of his own funds, making the PPCLI the last privately raised regiment in Canada.

The regiment was named after Princess Patricia of Connaught, the daughter of the Governor General at the time. Princess Patricia maintained close ties with the regiment throughout her life, and hand-sewed the original regimental colour, the Ric-a-Dam-Doo, which was carried into battle in every First World War battle in which the Patricias fought.
Continue reading the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry History.

Equipment

For information about the vehicles and weapons used by the Canadian Army visit our Equipment page.

Contact Us

2 PPCLIP.O. Box 5000 Station Main
Shilo, MB
R0K 2A0

Phone: 204-765-3000 ext 6041

News

Date modified: